Sunday, November 20, 2011

Guinness and Marmalade Land Shanks

It was late one night. Mr I was (again) engrossed in Dark Souls.
I (again) was engrossed in food shows. 

Jamie's Great Britain showed a lovely lamb shank recipe. 
I had to have it. I had to have lamb slow cooked. I had to have the little flat smell of lamb slowly turning into something quite wonderful. 

Mr I, needless to say, happened to approve as well. 

I think this marks a turning point. For a long time, I liked my lamb firmly medium. I did not appreciate the magic of slow and tender lamb, falling off the bone. I often found a bit dull. 

But this - this was not dull. It was in a sweet and caramelised sauce. With mint oil. And lovingly vinegar-ified spring onions. 

This is my take of Jamie's lamb shanks. Recreated for my little kitchen. For two. 



Guinness and Marmalade Land Shanks

1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
Raisins, one of those little snack boxes - or a good handful
4 tablespoons thick-cut marmalade
A splash of ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
300 ml Guinness
2 lamb shanks
5 sprigs rosemary, stripped
Water and an organic stock cube (or the real thing)
Mint leaves
Spring onions
Cider vinegar

Take a large stock pot, heat some olive oil at the bottom, caramelise the onions.

Add the raisins, wait 20 seconds, take off the heat and add the marmalade. Swirl the marmalade so it starts to break up. 

Put back on a medium heat, add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce - swirl. Finally, add the Guinness. Put on a low heat. Add the rosemary now as well.

Brown the lamb shanks and add to the stock pot. Top up with stock until the stock covers the lamb shanks and add seasoning. 

Leave on medium-low heat with the lid just barely perched onwards. Leave for two hours - make sure to top up with water and swirl around so the lamb shanks cook evenly and the bottom doesn't burn. 

Now crush some mint with some olive oil, leave to rest. Take the spring onions, cut them up, tear a few pieces of mint, finish with some cider vinegar. Leave to rest.

After two hours, pick the heat up slightly, stand over the pot, let the sauce reduce. The lamb shanks will then be lovingly glazed.

Take the lamb shanks out, liquidize the sauce (reduce more if necessary). Serve with sauce, drizzled with mint oil and spring onion. 

Jamie claims the spring onions and mint oil make all the difference. They do, but make sure to let them rest a few hours while the lamb is cooking so the flavours can really infuse. 


2 comments:

  1. Mr. I is well taken care of I see! It looks lovely- am enjoying reading this so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's currently 'on hiatus' until I finish with university. Hopefully I'll liven it up after that!

      Delete

Please leave a message!